This post is for my students at the City of Bath College.
Some important elements of funk guitar playing:
- Syncopated sixteenth note rhythms w/groove and feel
- Use of major, minor and dominant 7, 9, 11 and 13 chords
- LH muting and dampening
- RH chucking (for effect, do not over use)
- Use of effects – Wah Wah and Envelope Filters
You can download the suggested chord voicing sheet for the two chord improvisation sections found in the Rockschool Grade 5 piece ‘All Funked Up’ here –> All Funked Up (Chord Improv Suggestions).pdf
Be sure to check out some of these great funk guitarists:
- Jimmy Nolan (James Brown)
- Nile Rodgers (Chic)
- Leo Nocentelli (Meters)
- Steve Cropper (Booker T)
- Melvin Raglin (Temptations/Marvin Gaye)
Check out this awesome live version of Nile Rodger performing Le Freak with Chic.
…and footage of James Brown performing a medley of I Feel Good and Sex Machine live in the studio.