One of my favourite bands, like, ever; Radiohead, today announced the release of their new album via their Twitter and Facebook pages. The band posted a very short tweet: “Thank you for waiting… http://rhd.cc/jd19 #thekingoflimbs“.
As an Oxford boy myself and a huge fan I dashed to the website and purchased the album there and then. I was immediately intrigued to see how Radiohead were selling their record this time round. The band famously released their last record, In Rainbows (2007), via a ‘pay what you want’ download method before releasing the record in a tangible form through XL Recordings. This turned the music industry on its head and a number of high profile artists soon followed suit shortly afterwards.
Radiohead’s ‘The King of Limbs‘ record is being released via the following methods:
The album is available to buy on presale as a download (available from 19/02/11):
- mp3 – £6.00
- wav – £9.00
There is also an option for a Newspaper album (shipping date 09/05/11), which includes:
- Two clear 10″ vinyl records in a purpose-built record sleeve.
- A compact disc.
- Many large sheets of artwork, 625 tiny pieces of artwork and a full-colour piece of oxo-degradeable plastic to hold it all together.
- The Newspaper Album comes with a digital download that is compatible with all good digital media players.
- The Newspaper Album will be shipped on Monday 9th May 2011 you can, however, enjoy the download on Saturday 19th February 2011.
- One lucky owner of the digital version of The King Of Limbs, purchased from this website, will receive a signed 2 track 12″ vinyl.
Prices for the Newspaper option are:
- Newspaper album + mp3 – £30.00
- Newspaper album + wav – £33.00
‘The King Of Limbs’ will be in stores on 12″/CD via XL (Europe), TBD (N-America) & Hostess (Japan/Asia): March 28 2011
No one knows what the album will sound like. The band will announce the track listing in the next few days. If their latest Dead Air Space blog post is anything to go by, perhaps we are in for another surprise.
- Fog (Jamie xx Remix) Nosaj Thing Drift (Remixed)
- Tripped Up Ramadanman Re-Edit Shortstuff Mickey Pearce
- Sun Days Macc & dgoHn
- Keep Time Shed
- Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue in D Minor, BWV 903: Fantasia Christophe Rousset Bach: Harpsichord Works
- SP Morgan Zarate
- Chazm Julio Bashmore
- Seamonkey (Untold Remix) Moderat
- Stereo Freeze Untold
- 7c 1020 Macc & dgoHn
Band website: http://radiohead.com/deadairspace/
Radiohead today announced that they would be releasing ‘The King of Limbs’ one day earlier than originally planned (19/02/11), raising speculation between fans that perhaps there could be a second installment released tomorrow due to the relatively short length of this early release: 8 tracks; 40+mins. Radiohead are one for surprises, so we can be hopeful!
‘The King of Limbs’ Track Listing
- Bloom (05’14)
- Morning Mr Magpie (04’40)
- Little By Little (04’27)
- Feral (03’12)
- Lotus Flower (05’00)
- Codex (04’46)
- Give Up the Ghost (04’50)
- Separator (05’20)
YouTube is already filling up with versions of the tracks. Go check them out and then buy the record: http://www.thekingoflimbs.com/
This past week Radiohead released the physical version of their album ‘The King of Limbs’ in record stores worldwide with a special edition newspaper entitled “The Universal Sigh”. Take a look:
Meanwhile guitarist Jonny Greenwood told rock magazine Q, “We’re recording at the moment. We’re just playing and making music and trying to work out what to do, really. We’ve stopped planning ahead very far and we’re just making music and wondering where to go next and what to do.” – Exciting times for any Radiohead fan as they write and record LP #8!